Funding Our Adoption by Ben & Kristi Graves | #adoptionstory
Is the COST the main reason you are not pursuing an adoption? Today you will find encouragement from Ben & Kristi Graves, as they share how they are funding their adoption.
It is true. A private domestic or international adoption does require a financial commitment. But I believe, with all of my heart, if you feel the Lord is calling you to adopt…He will provide. There are a number of ways a couple can fund an adoption including grants, fundraisers, donations. If you do a search on Google or on Pinterest you are bound to find multiple ideas!
For those reading who do not feel a call to adopt, this is also a wonderful opportunity for you to get involved with orphan care. There are so many ways you can help a couple raise their money for adoption. Purchasing an item from an adoption fundraiser, donating, and/or hosting an adoption fundraiser are all great ways to contribute! (Read for more detailed ideas following the guest post.)
Meet Ben & Kristi Graves
So how do you find a couple in the process of adopting? Well, you do not have to look any further than Instagram! That is actually how I “met” Ben and Kristi. I started following their adoption journey on Instagram a while back, and it has been a true joy! Their feed is full of fun pictures of people supporting their adoption, and updates with each step of theof their adoption process. All though, we do not personally know one another….I find myself on pins and needles waiting to see the precious little one God places in their lives.
Ben and Kristi’s story has been so inspiring to me, that when I decided to do this series, I reached out to them to see if they would write a post. I am a complete stranger…so I wasn’t sure want to expect….but to my pleasant surprise, Kristi replied telling me they would be more than happy to contribute!
Boy am I glad they did!
They have shared some great information for any family trying to raise money for an adoption and, even more importantly, they have shared some Godly truths to keep in mind throughout the process.
I know you all will enjoy getting to know this sweet couple as much as I have! Please keep them in your prayers as they are waiting to be matched and as they continue to raise the remaining funds for their adoption!!
How did you decide to adopt?
We have been married for 10 years and have gone on many adventures: living in 3 different countries, moving a dozen times, and welcoming 2 sweet puppies into our family.
For the last six years, we have walked the road of infertility, and it’s been one of the hardest seasons of our life.
At the very beginning of our marriage, we talked about adoption and knew it was something we wanted to do. Then, three years ago, on a church mission trip to Uganda, we felt that God was very clearly calling us to adopt.
As with most things in our life, it has not happened immediately. But we are so thankful for the lessons God has taught us through this journey.
Currently, we are a “waiting family”!
How are you funding your adoption?
We are pursuing domestic infant adoption with our agency, Bethany Christian Services. The cost of our adoption is a little over $26,000.
Like so many others, we looked at the cost of our adoption and were overwhelmed at the thought of raising that amount. However, we also knew that God had called us to do this and we believed He would provide in His timing.
We have held 5 different fundraisers, with our most successful being our t-shirt fundraiser!
At the very beginning of our adoption journey, we decided that our theme would be “Adventure Awaits”. This phrase seemed fitting for our journey and was something we knew others could relate to as well. So that is what we decided to put on our t-shirt.
For this fundraiser, we went with the online t-shirt selling company, Bonfire. (You can see our shirts here.) A huge blessing of using Bonfire is that they do the hard work for you! They track and ship your shirts to everyone who orders, you just have to share the link! 🙂
From selling t-shirts alone, we have raised over $5,000 and we highly recommend it to other adopting families!
We also set up an account on the Pure Charity website where people could do tax deductible donations. It was important to us to give those seeking to support us, an option to do so in a tax deductible way! Pure Charity takes a small percentage for credit card fees and everything else is donated directly to your adoption agency!
To document the process of our adoption for our all of supporters, we also set up an Instagram account (@babygravesadventure) and Facebook page. We post regularly giving updates and have found this to be a wonderful way to keep everyone involved in the journey!
What advice would you give to a couple considering adoption?
The biggest piece of advice we have given to those who have told us they are seeking adoption is – DON’T LET THE COST STOP YOU!
Yes, the number you have to raise is big! BUT we serve a God who is SO MUCH BIGGER than the number! 🙂
We have seen God work through so many people on our journey and have raised over $23,000 in 6 months time!
There is a saying “where God guides, He provides” and we see this to be SO true! People from all over the world have bought our t-shirts, let us know they are praying for us, and sacrificed to help us bring home our sweet Baby Graves!Where God guides, He provides. Click To Tweet
There is no doubt it is hard to let people in and to ask for help, but it is truly a beautiful part of this whole process!
How have you seen God’s hand in your adoption story?
We have seen God’s hand through all the support, love and encouragement we have been shown.
Without a shadow of a doubt, we know that this is what God wants us to do, and He has shown us that in so many ways.
We know that there is a purpose for our pain, and one day He will wipe away every tear. We cannot wait to hold our sweet baby that He has planned for us. God is writing this next beautiful chapter of our story in only the way He can do. We just pray to be faithful with each new step!
About Ben & Kristi
Ben & Kristi celebrated their 10th anniversary earlier this year and live outside of Atlanta, GA with their 2 dogs, Snuggles and Rosie. They are pursuing domestic infant adoption, and are currently a home study approved waiting family, prayerfully and expectantly waiting to be matched with their baby. This will be their first child 🙂 Anyone with questions about adoption or fundraising is welcome to reach out to us on Facebook or Instagram!
(photo credit: our talented friend and photographer Graeme Pitman| IG: @graemepitman)
Do Your Part
Everyone can take part of God’s mission for orphans. Below you will find some ways you can help. Today’s suggestions focus on families who are pursuing adoption.
Take a moment to pray for Ben and Kristi. Pray for all families waiting to be matched for adoption. Pray for:
- the adoptive families as they wait
- the roller coaster ride of adoption can often take a toll emotionally, mentally, and spiritually
- their spirit and heart as the waiting process can be full of ups and downs.
- them as they cling to the Father in this waiting process.
- For comfortand peace through the ups and downs
- financial provision for adoption costs
- the child God will place in their care
- birth parents
- as they look at adoptive family profiles to decide who will raise their child
- health and prenatal care
- peace and comfort as they grieve the loss of their child.
- organizations and agencies involved in working with birth parents and in matching children to adoptive families.
- Visit Ben and Kristi’s Bonfire account and purchase a t-shirt! Or visit their Pure Charity website and make a tax-deductible donation. (They had no clue I was doing this!)
- Purchase an item from an adoption fundraiser.
- Consider donating to an organization, like Show Hope, that provides grants for adoptive families.
- If you own a business (Lularoe, Pampered Chef, Photography, Mary Kay, Stella and Dot, etc.), host a fundraiser for someone adopting.
- Donate a photo session to a family pursuing adoption. (Families who are adopting usually submit a photo book to the adoption agency.)
- Give an adoptive family a gift card to a company such as Shutterfly for a photo book or for adoption announcement cards.
- Plan a “Welcome Home Baby Shower” for a family who is adopting.
- If you know someone who is adopting, organize a meal train for when the baby/child get home.
- Lead your church is “adopting” and adoptive family. Surround this family in love, support and prayer along the whole journey!
- Talk to organizations and ministries that support and raise money for adoptive families. Find out how you can get involved and/or donate.
- Help share adoption stories on social media. Go ahead and begin advocating today, by sharing Ben and Kristi’s story! Connect with them on Facebook or Instagram! Also share the link for their t-shirt fundraiser: www.bonfire.com/adventureawaiting
- Connect with me on instagram and Facebook and share quotes, videos, statistics, stories, and prayer requests.
Maybe you sense God calling you to adopt, check out the following websites for more information:
More ideas for getting involved with orphan care can be found here.
Want to read another #adoptionstory and find out ways you can get involved? Take some time to read these:
Caleb and Kaila’s #adoptionstory: Clinging to the Father in the Wait
Jake and Shay’s #adoptionstory: Q&A about Adoption
Kristin Hill Taylor’s #adoptionstory: How Open Adoption Built My Faith
Sarah Frazer’s #adoptionstory: 3 Ways Adoption Built My Faith
Cheri Dee Johnson’s #adoptionstory: Why Adoptive Families Need a Support System
Follow along every Tuesday and Thursday during the month of November!
Make sure your subscribe so you don’t miss Thursday’s #adoptionstories!
Looking for some more encouragement? Check out some of the blogs where I link up throughout the week here.